Senior Applied Research Engineer
Location : New York, NY
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Senior Level
In this role, work within an elite team of research engineers dedicated to delivering business critical priorities, using innovative methods, techniques and technologies. Partner with LoB's and engineering teams across the firm to execute long-term projects requiring significant technical research to support JPMC businesses as they grow.
As part of this function exploration of technologies that have potentially huge impact for JPMC (unknown intrinsic value), support business areas, create (build) and/or implement new technologies or provide guidance and associated usage guard rails. Implement operating model between Applied Research and Innovation to drive change in technology and future capabilities which are transformed into new products, processes, and services via innovation.
Formulate research problems based on JPMC needs and conduct high-quality research. Develop hardware, software and application system prototypes of the proposed solutions. Conduct experiments to evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the solutions. Create proof-of-concept technology demonstrations. Potentially generate creative solutions (patents) and publish research results internally and in some cases where permissible external events.
The The Chief Technology Office (CTO) Senior Applied Research Engineer is primarily responsible for developing innovative prototypes to demonstrate the business potentials of upcoming technologies. To be successful in this role, one most important requirement is the innate curiosity for what's new, and a strong ability to learn new technologies quickly. The individual must possess deep, hands-on technical skills and be familiar with a wide range of technical themes and development practices. He or she will contribute as technical subject matter experts to the various Applied Research projects (some outlined below), out-of-box thinking and team work is also critical for this role.
Work within the CTO Research labs unlocking the potential of technical trends including;
1. Distributed Ledgers and Block Chains.
2. Game Theory and Quantum Computing.
3. Optimizations in Large Scale Distributed Calculations/computing, edge computing & federated learning; IOT.
4. Robotic Process Automation and automation of ML pipelines from ideation to production.
5. Scientific computing, underlying storage patterns - how to persist and use highly dimensional data - GPU/CUDA SQL for instance.
6. Medical science techniques for data privacy, telehealth, VR, precision medicine, massive data rendering.
7. Advanced AI tools and techniques.
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
- Expertise in application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines
- Advanced knowledge of architecture and design across all systems
- Proficiency in multiple modern programming languages
- Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and best practices
- Keen understanding of financial control and budget management
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals
- Passionate about building an innovative culture
- MSc in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics or a related quantitative field
- Proven track record of research publications
- Excellent coding and software development skills
- Algorithm development experience
- Skills with Python, Java, C++, or other object oriented programming language required, as well as with R, MATLAB, Wolfram, or similar scripting language preferred
- Computation science, algorithms, mathematical & computational models, simulations, parallel/distributed computing, GPU/FPGA
- Theoretical computer science, quantum, computational complexity
- Strong knowledge of Machine Learning foundations and techniques covering machine learning frameworks & platforms e.g. Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras, Mxnet, Rapids, Chainer as example
- Knowledge of mainstream Deep Learning architectures (MLP, CNN, RNN, LSTM, GAN etc.)
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans