Prin Product Security Engineer
Location : Boulder, CO 80301
Headquarters : Dublin, Ireland
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
Help streamline and speed our time to market and build quality in at every step. You will be a member of the new product
development team that supports the design and development of innovative, new products within the Surgical Innovations
business. You can apply advanced technical concepts to complex problems from concept generation through early phase
development. Impact patient outcomes.
Come for a job, stay for a career.
MITG The Minimally Invasive Therapies Group strives to enable earlier diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free
recovery, and enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical solutions
SURGICAL INNOVATIONS sets the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products
and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic
region, and the head and neck.
A Day in the Life
Be on the frontlines of the emerging area of medical device cybersecurity as an integral member of the R&D team
responsible for leading, executing, deploying, and monitoring cybersecurity and information security solutions for
Medtronic’s Surgical Innovations medical devices. Be a technical lead and represent Surgical Innovations in the
Medtronic technical security community. Work directly with R&D teams to ensure all relevant security risks are identified
and evaluated, and appropriate and well-balanced solutions are implemented. Develop project security management
deliverables to comply with standards / guidance documents, and successfully communicate cybersecurity technology to
customers, regulatory bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Perform product and device-oriented cybersecurity-related activities ranging from incident response to vulnerability
- assessments to mitigation implementation.
- Lead product risk assessments in conjunction with product R&D teams and develop and recommend specific security
- controls for product/system wide security needs.
- Participate in the creation and testing of product security-related requirements and processes.
- Evaluate security risks on programs across the entire development lifecycle, including market-released product.
- Ownership of security-related deliverables for regulatory bodies, ensuring compliance with key standards / guidance
- documents, and represent SI to those regulatory bodies
- Contribute to Medtronic’s understanding of current industry best practices and how they can be applied to SI Products.
- Work under minimal consultative direction toward long range program goals and objectives.
- Develops advanced technical ideas and guides their development into final product.
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge on security.
- Champion consistent implementation of the Security Development Lifecycle across projects
- Champion consistent implementation of the Quality System across projects
- Own relationships and contracts with external vendors for security products, consultation, or other services
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
Nice to Have
- 3+ years in critical Systems Security Engineering related roles or
- 5+ years of experience with a Master’s Degree in a technical/engineering discipline including 3+ years in critical
- Systems Security Engineering related role
- Broad experience with information and systems security.
- Demonstrated leadership, team work skills and project management, including ability to create and track to broader goals
- and vision.
- Demonstrated experience with Risk Management and Systems Engineering processes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and grow productive, trusting and open relationships with a wide variety of
- Demonstrated ability to lead and communicate across organizations and geographies in a crisp manner.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving skills.
- Proven record of working independently and understanding program goals
- Experience in Healthcare industry or other heavily regulated industry.
- In-depth understanding of system development lifecycle methodologies.
- Design and implementation experience with security for:
- Embedded software & systems
- Capital equipment in a hospital setting
- Mobile applications, OS, cloud systems
- Experience with Clinical IT and Clinical IT Security stakeholders
- In-depth medical device systems knowledge and experience
- Prior security design experience in critical industries such as DOD, DOE, NSA
- Specialized knowledge desired:
- Ethical hacking (certification preferred)
- Embedded devices
- Research and Development
- Relevant engineering processes and skills Security technologies and approaches
- Medical device technology
- Wireless communication systems
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
A commitment to our employees lives at the core of our values. We recognize their contributions. They share in the success they help to create. We offer a wide range of benefits, resources, and competitive compensation plans designed to support you at every career and life stage. Learn more about our benefits here.
This position is eligible for a short-term incentive plan. Learn more about Annual Salary and Medtronic Incentive Plan (MIP) on Page 6 here.