Active Directory Security Engineer
Location : Hartford, CT
Headquarters : New York, New York, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWork with a team to architect and manage Microsoft Active Directory. Day to day operations will include design and architecture planning, GPO management, M365 planning and integration as well as AD infrastructure updates, and troubleshooting of AD issues. Also participate in daily operations and approvals of Network Security functions and controls. Plan at an operational level and manage the effective use of resources to transform business-specifications into cost-effective IT Security solutions. Implements and/or maintains a medium system or multiple smaller systems and/or assigned project(s). Investigates, identifies, and resolves Cybersecurity events/breaches independently. Responsibilities are assigned with some latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using established policies and procedures.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Be part of a team that manages our entire Active Directory environment of 27 domains in 14 forests.
- Monitor and manage backups of Active Directory using native and vendor products.
- Process operational requests for our testing environments.
- Review upcoming changes to production to evaluate risk and impact to users.
- Create scripts and batch jobs to support maintenance of Active Directory.
- Monitor and manage the sync from on-premise Active Directory to Azure AD.
- Work with additional teams supporting Network and Edge Security daily operations.
- Provide operational support, trouble shooting and maintenance of major Security related processes, controls or products.
- Analyze, configure, test, document and implement upgrades to security processes, controls or products.
- Designs, develops, and builds new Cybersecurity processes.
- Participates/leads activities to resolve situations involving improper attempts to access or infiltrate our networks.
- Recommends changes to area procedures and products. Implements own recommendations with management review.
- Recognizes, analyzes patterns, and responds to security events and escalates to management.
- Consults with business peers to analyze, support, and resolve Cybersecurity events.
- Understands and has input to the budget process, and shares responsibility for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects.
- Participate in Security and enterprise projects as assigned.
- Evaluate purchases and/or licensed software products to identify and address security exposures
- Act as a security representative at design and new technology meetings.
- Provides guidance to more junior employees.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Five years of work experience within Computer Science or a related field required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline preferred.
- Seven years of relevant experience with Cybersecurity practices, processes, and Cybersecurity event investigation/resolution preferred.
- Broad knowledge of all IT related technologies with subject matter expertise in IT Security related technology and business exposures impacting organizational vitality preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Domain integration across Linux, Mac, IOT devices
- Azure AD architecture, integration, and support
- Experience with complex GPO and OU structure/design
- Experience with AD upgrades and migrations
- Monitoring and management of Microsoft Active Directory
- Experience with LDAP and Kerberos 3rd party integrations Active Directory to Azure AD
- Problem Solving:
- Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or conflict with available information.
- Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions.
- Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Is very good at identifying the problem versus the symptom.
- Deals increasingly with problems that require involvement of others to solve.
- Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly.
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action. Optimizes the use of all available resources.
- Team Orientation:
- Maintains partnerships across the organization, and is able to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results.
- Puts success of the team is above own interest.
- Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned business units.
- Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using generally accepted guidelines.
- Results are reviewed with next-level manager for clarification according to predefined objectives.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Develops operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning.
- Proposes plans of action that are timely, realistic, and positive.
- Sets appropriate goals for projects and monitors progress against the plan.
- Be part of a team that manages our entire Active Directory environment of 27 domains in 14 forests
- Monitor and manage backups of Active Directory using native and vendor products
- Process operational requests for our testing environments
- Review upcoming changes to production to evaluate risk and impact to users
- Create scripts and batch jobs to support maintenance of Active Directory
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- On call as needed.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.