This job posting has expired
Jnr Cloud Engineer
Location : Toronto, ON
Headquarters : Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Cloud Engineer
Experience : Mid Level
- Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $39 trillion in assets every day and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $3.5 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
- Recently we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We’re using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, transforming our industry through distributed ledger technology and machine learning.
- This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, though solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide (not just trying to get people to click on ads).
- As a cloud engineer, you will deploy solutions in the public cloud (e.g., AWS) using configuration provisioning and management tools (e.g., AWS CloudFormation, Python APIs). You are required to design configuration templates that are used to provision infrastructure components (i.e., EC2, RDS, EMR, Lambda etc.) in a scalable manner. Once in production your role is key to ensuring that solutions are performant and operational SLAs are maintained.
- Develop applications (the ‘thread or if you prefer ‘duct tape’) that enable business and operational requirements using cloud provider services (‘fabric’ or ‘lego pieces’)
- Make concepts ‘real’ by telling enterprise architects how things really work versus what they may have seen in a vendor demo
- Avoid 2am production issues by building scalable and resilient (‘works the first time’) applications running globally
- Make things better by pointing out redundancies and manual steps best handled via your code
- Smart and prefer to have other fork your git repos (versus forking some open source project to show commit counts)
- Experience using languages in vogue this decade (e.g., Python, Go, Groovy)
- Aware of how cloud-centric architectures and technical standards differ from something that runs on a Windows server
- Understand what are trade-offs in design and development (e.g., perennial issues around cache validation)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- Graduate degree in Computer Engineering / Computer Science
- GPA higher than the average in relevant subjects and in the last two academic years (if not throughout)
- Prior experiences / internships with exposure to developing large scale applications
- Have written apps using AWS services (a bit more than EC2 is always welcome)
- Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success.
- Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
- State Street is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability.