Applications Engineer (Virtual - USA)
Location : REMOTE
Headquarters : Kitchener, Canada
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
Position: Applications Engineer
Location: Virtual (USA)
Experience: 5+ years
Education: Graduate degree in engineering or a related field
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Software, hardware, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors, respectively. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of software and hardware that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
You will work as a member of the OTTO Motors’ sales organization in an applications technical role as a partner to our account executives. You will be accountable for understanding customer requirements, selecting the best products, and devising solutions that ultimately improve our customer’s business and that meet or exceed the application requirements. You will also consult with channel partners and internal deployment teams to devise deployment plans that achieve the best time-to-value for the end users.
You will be constantly interacting with customers, learning new technology, developing new system concepts, creating the foundation for successful projects, and impressing clients via virtual and in-person demonstrations of how their business can improve using our products.
This role requires an awareness and proficiency with systems engineering, industrial engineering, project planning, and it involves interacting with many elements of our business.
- Be a product knowledge expert, technical consultant, and content creator throughout the sales cycle.
- Build trust, advise, and demonstrate the value of our products, our brand, and our business for prospective customers and channel partners.
- Enable deployment teams by supplying solution concepts, preliminary project plans, and budgets.
- Collect and communicate market data and ideas to our product management organization to improve the market success of our existing and future products.
- Contribute to department improvement initiatives to enhance the team’s efficiency and the value of its contributions to the business.
Example tasks you may own to fulfill these responsibilities include:
- Planning and owning actions within account and opportunity capture plans
- Visiting customer sites and interacting with customers/end-users to understand their needs
- Analyzing customer data to assess the business impacts and ROI that OTTO solutions can provide
- Devising system/solution designs, for projects ranging from proof of concept to multi-million dollar deployments
- Creating preliminary project plans (milestones, risks, etc.) covering the full lifecycle of a project to ensure concepts, budgets, etc. are comprehensive and accurate, and that the project is primed for success. Your ability to foresee potential bumps along the way is a skill.
- Perform in-house, virtual, and in-field demonstrations of OTTO products
- Telling a comprehensive product/feature story wherever you recognize gaps in our product roadmap
- Diploma in technical field or degree in engineering, computer science, robotics, or a related field with applicable background
- Able to quickly grasp new technical and business problems related to manufacturing, inventory management, distribution and order fulfillment, etc.
- Able to put self in clients' shoes and understand the value of technology to end user stakeholders
- Capable of identifying skills and resources required to complete advanced automation projects
- Experienced customer facing communicator
- Able to communicate concepts readily through sketches, block diagrams, flow charts, and technical writing
- Able to facilitate productive technical team discussions to converge on solution definitions and work plans
Bonus points for
- Experience working with vehicle automation for indoor industrial applications
- Experience in pitching a value proposition for a new technology
- Experience with facilitating group decision making
- Good presentation skills
- Understanding the various problems which face robotics adopters (technical and otherwise)
- Project management experience
- Past experience learning from development projects that have gone terribly wrong
- Working knowledge of controls and aspects of mobile robotics such as perception, planning, navigation
- Working knowledge in software, specifically C++ and/or Python in a Linux environment
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.