Staff Engineer, Software
Location : REMOTE
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : Developer
Experience : Mid Level
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
In a complex world of developing products for studying Cancer and other disease processes, help us be a part of this story with our Biology and Test Engineering team. With applications that span the Cancer research field—from basic research through drug discovery—help us develop a broad range of products including fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, and microplate reader instrumentation and reagents for the detection of cellular and biochemical analytes and molecules involved in disease processes.
How will you make an impact?
We are searching for a talented Senior Software Engineer who will help our international team of engineers deliver our next generation Flow Cytometer. You will architect and implement complex solutions within a full stack environment from the native application layer to the hardware over a collection of protocols and technologies. Your broad breadth of knowledge and expert depth of knowledge will be leveraged by a team of multi-disciplined engineers. Your strong communication and documentation skills will mentor more junior colleagues.
Superior problem-solving skills are expected as our technical landscape is complex and immense. We often call our development environment a petri dish of computer science. You will work within design patterns that include object orient, data oriented, procedural, functional, data driven, etc. You will solve complex multi-threading topologies and tight embedded machine optimizations (down to the microsecond.) You will explore, architect, and develop microservices, distributed databases, machine learning systems, etc. This is a challenging job but satisfying to the intellectually curious.
The role will reside in Eugene, Oregon however you may work remotely from anywhere within the United States; If remote option is chosen, we must be available to work onsite in Eugene for one to three weeks at a time. COVID-19 has changed the working landscape for us all. But sometimes you still need to see the pumps turn on and off to know your code works. This is a requirement of the job and is vital to instrument development.
What will you do?
- Architect and implement object oriented, data oriented, data driven, procedural, and functional code within an established code base to extend the functionality of a complex UX within an existing MFC framework and advocate for unit testing
- Plan and document complex coding systems that will be used by a multinational group of interdisciplinary colleagues
- Develop and enhance a micro-service environment spanning cloud, network, localhost, and IoT servers
- Provide endpoint declaration, access, security, and functional responses to HTTP/RESTful IoT edge-servers
- Leverage a thorough knowledge in both SQL and Non-SQL database modelling and optimized queries
- Work with data scientist to realize machine learning and AI models within customer consumed applications
- Develop and optimize embedded Qt code used to drive hardware components
- Contribute to and maintain complex fluidic and data acquisition simulators
- Optimize multi-threaded and timing sensitive tightloops within embedded software
- Mentor junior colleagues in software development best practices
- Provide timely, up-to-date, and complete documentation
- BS/BA Degree, Engineering or Technical Field a must
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering and development a must
- Provide past examples of personal architectural contributions to complex coding systems
- Demonstrate an expert understanding of computational theory, multi-threading, code optimization a must
- Previously shipped at least three native application products to market
- Demonstrate excellent depth of knowledge in two programming domains, i.e. threading, optimization, computational complexity, micro-services, TCP/IP protocol, etc.
- Self-motivated and can work efficiently and with few distractions in a remote environment (home)
- Be well rounded, flexible, able to follow through, and can work under pressure with associated deadlines
- Excellent communication and documentation skills as many of our interdisciplinary colleagues work on international teams over many time zones under many domain specialties
- Demonstrably strong problem-solving abilities a must
- Strong communication and documentation skills a must
- Organized, detail oriented and proactive
- Ability to work with many different types of personalities over many different time zones
- Willingness to work on-site from one to three weeks at a time required
- Experience in an Agile Scrum development process
- Experience supporting data scientist with machine learning and AI modeling
- Experience developing server-side HTTP/RESTful micro-services
- Prior development experience in embedded systems
- Experience in DevOps/micro-service administration
- Demonstrable knowledge using the MFC/Qt stacks
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.