Research Engineer II
Location : Malvern, PA
Headquarters : Courbevoie, France
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
- Supports sensor and data projects driven by the needs of the CertainTeed Gypsum business including:
- Selection and technical evaluation of relevant technologies.
- Development of functional prototypes and field evaluation.
- Design iterations following feedback from internal or external customers.
- Development of final solution and transfer of technology to the plant teams.
- Participates in the identification of the gypsum business needs and the establishment of projects with gypsum plants. Vision to see how their projects effects the entire system.
- Participates in the identification and evaluation of potential external partners such as integrators, software developers, sensor/electronic/mechanical systems manufacturers, and engineering consulting companies.
- Manages projects from technical concept to operational handoff through close cross functional teamwork.
- Summarizes project approaches and results in concise and accurate technical memos/reports.
- Communicates project strategies and results to internal customers and management through formal presentations.
- Conducts research and development process improvements related to the production of Gypsum Wall Board
- Conducting meetings with internal customers to identify data analytics needs and scope projects including big data projects and production deployments.
- Collaborating with central IT services and/or external vendors to ensure successful and sustainable developments.
- Being an active member of Saint-Gobain worldwide data analytics community, through participation in tech days and sharing of best practices.
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Bachelor’s with 3+ years’ experience or Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, robotics, electrical engineering, or related fields
- Must be proficient with electronics and automation systems (including motion control).
- Must have hands-on experience with building testing rigs, measurement systems, and electromechanical systems.
- Must have experience with sensors and non-destructive evaluation techniques.
- Must have experience with C/C++/C# or Python and LabVIEW
- Ability to design, spec, integrate, program, test, and troubleshoot industrial automation systems (PLCs, HMI’s, cabinet hardware, VFD’s, starters, I/O, ladder logic).
- Experience designing, building, and troubleshooting functional prototypes of mechatronic systems incorporating compute, sensing, and actuation.
- Experience with the development of systems reliant on DIY electronics (Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or similar) and familiarity with other microcontroller systems is a plus.
- Demonstrate familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation.
- Proven ability to execute experimental tests with minimal supervision and a focus on paying attention to details.
- Proven ability to think critically, strategize and organize tasks autonomously on assigned projects, and establish viable technical paths forward.
- Proven ability to iterate quickly on projects and redefine path forward as relevant.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate with all levels of management, customers, colleagues, and external partners.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Familiarity with industrial systems and IoT/IIoT knowledge is a plus.
- Previous project management and manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated good knowledge in HSE and IP.
- Develop understanding of company policies and corporate structure.
- Up to 30% travel may be required, subject to COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
- Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
- A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
- Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.
Research Engineer II