Location : Austin, TX 73301
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : UI/UX Designer
Experience : Mid Level
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced User Experience (UX) Designer with a proven record of delivering irresistible solutions which address our customers’ most challenging business problems and opportunities. The ideal candidate will have experience collaborating effectively with Product Management and engineering in agile and lean delivery methodologies. The candidate must demonstrate leadership, technical curiosity, and tenacity to partner with some of the leading technologists in the field of cloud computing.
- Leverage scenarios and user flows in the creation of workflows, flowcharts, storymapping and prototypes
- Participate in and lead UX activities (in person and remote) such as user/design research, interviews and workshops, in an Agile environment
- Translate findings into usable, useful, effective and efficient user experiences
- Clearly and quickly deliver ideas to cross-functional teams
- Provide information verbally and visually through low- and mid-fidelity renderings and clickable prototypes
- Test and validate working hypotheses through usability testing of wireframes, clickable prototypes and published product, and participate in design critique
Work with UX Designers, Visual designers, researchers and product managers to understand users’ needs and behaviors for the industries in which they work
- Deliver, review and critique the UX Designs of a multi-skilled design team to ensure effective and rich designs (great interaction, visual styling, consistent and appropriate use of voice and tone, etc)
Who You Are:
Creative, curious, questioning, open to receiving and providing critique, and have a ton of initiative.
Able to focus on design detail and ascertain user value and impact as part of your software experience. You possess experience solving complex design problems for Web interactions or software solutions and are capable of translating research findings into complex interaction designs that provide usable, effective and efficient experiences to users. Your keen written and verbal communication skills include the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
The ideal candidate has the demonstrated the ability to…
- Understand mental models and build wireframes and prototypes in accordance with interaction design principles
- Apply knowledge about UX disciplines including information architecture, motion design, and micro-interactions
- Tell meaningful stories about users, with great presentation skills
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Portfolio and work samples including user-centered design skills, complex experiences such as flows, scenarios, personas, etc. (any fidelity), sketches to mid-fidelity interactions (show your process) and clickable or paper prototypes (any fidelity)
- Solid Technical background
- Hands on Designer Experience
- 3+ years of Demonstrated experience solving complex user problems
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in a broad portfolio of related products and/or constitute a complex solution
- Understanding of Design principles and their application
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience designing for accessibility
- Data visualization skills
- Master’s Degree in User Experience Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science
About Business UnitDigitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Location StatementIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.