Senior Staff UX / Interaction Designer
Location : Portage, MI 49002
Headquarters : Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Hiring Role : UI/UX Designer
Experience : Mid Level
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with our customers, is driven to make healthcare better. We offer innovative products and services in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes. We are proud to be named one of the World’s Best Workplaces and a Best Workplace for Diversity by Fortune Magazine. Learn more about our award-winning organization by visiting stryker.com
At Stryker, the Senior Staff Interaction Designer is a hybrid of User Experience Design, Interaction Design and User Interface Design. We are looking for a person that can morph, (as much as possible), into the different disciplines depending on the stage of the product development. UX design and UI design involve very different skill sets, but they are integral to each other's success. Both UI and UX designs need to be flawlessly executed and perfectly aligned with pre-existing user expectation to create an excellent user interface/experience. This role works very closely with industrial design as the interaction approach is integrated into the product design.
In support of defining meaningful user experiences, designers are expected to play a dual role for the benefit of the teams they collaborate with;
1. The designer must have a passion to learn, leverage and facilitate Design Thinking methods and tools to improve collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking of the cross functional teams they support. It is through design process facilitation that a designer leads the effort to define a meaningful user experience.
2. In role as the creative specialist, the designer creates divergent product and service solutions to key market and business problems their team has identified as critical to the success of a project. Including establishing the strategic design plan and the aesthetic direction for the product.
What you will do:
- Work with a variety of technology-focused teams, using your expertise to influence product strategies and long-range goals at Stryker Medical.
- Contributing ideas from early product concepts through launch, you’ll generate creative solutions that enhance the user experience with our products.
- You will be responsible for the definition, design and documentation of all user-experience related aspects of the product user interface.
- You will develop user interface design, including screen layout and navigation, user interface functionality, user notifications, alerts and icons to name a few.
- As a senior staff level Designer, you will be an advocate for the end user of our products, partnering closely with industrial design, human factors, marketing, clinical, hardware and software engineering teams to implement and test designed interfaces.
- Although collaboration is key, you’ll also work independently at times, documenting, implementing and troubleshooting as you ensure deliverables and work products meet and exceed our high standards.
What you need
- BA/BS in Design (interaction, visual communication, graphic, product, industrial) or related discipline.
- 8 + years experience
- Medical Devices highly preferred.
- Experience with design tools such as XD, Sketch, Axure, and Photoshop.
- Experience in design research and user testing.
- Strong knowledge of user-centered processes and experience building products from concept to launch.
- Proven experience designing usable interfaces.
What we offer
- A culture driven to achieve our mission and deliver remarkable results
- Coworkers committed to collaboration and winning the right way
- Quality products that improve the lives of our customers and patients
- Ability to discover your strengths, follow your passion and own your own career
- Flexible, engaging work environment
Our Mission: Together with our customers, we are driven to make healthcare better.
In this position you will be joining the Medical Division’s design team. The specific assignment is to support our newly formed Connectivity Team in our Acute Care Business Unit. In this role you will be working with a team of digital (IoT), business and product development specialists to imagine new strategies, products and services.
Join our Team and see how your design, marketing and product management skills can flourish in an environment rich with advanced technology, innovative medical science, and high-performance culture.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Know someone at Stryker?
Be sure to have them submit you as a referral prior to applying for this position. Learn more about our employee referral program.