User Researcher - Junior
Location : Austin, TX
Headquarters : United States
Hiring Mode : Full Time
Experience : Mid Level
- Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
- Thank you for your interest.
- This role is located ONSITE (after covid) New York, NY; Southbury, CT; Research Triangle Park, NC
- There is no relocation provided.
- No remote option (post covid).
- Our CIO Design team focuses on creating elegant, frictionless experiences for IBM employees across our complex digital landscape. You will help build an understanding of needs and pain-points and will conduct a variety of qualitative and quantitative analyses in different situations, from exploratory research to conducting resonance testing for new concepts, to conducting usability tests on existing user experiences. We are looking for an entry-level User Researcher to inspire change at all stages of site and application development by delivering insightful, actionable and exciting oral, written and visual presentations about your findings. Your primary job as a user researcher will be to advocate for our users and provide insights that shape their experiences such that they are natural, easy, useful, delightful, relevant and trustworthy.
- Design, plan, conduct, synthesize and communicate user research projects to inform design including but not limited to: usability studies, heuristic evaluations, interviews, surveys, user personas, journey maps, service blueprints and benchmarks
- Demonstrate skill and creativity for selecting the right mix of methods to provide actionable insights to research questions and business goals, and the capacity to invent new methods when the right user method does not exist
- Experience designing simple user research surveys (with tools like Survey Gizmo or Verint) and then further analyze your results using basic descriptive analyses (like percentages, sums, and averages)
- Work closely with colleagues and project teams to identify the right user research methodology for the situation, create research guides that ensure the right data is being collected
- Communicate your findings in a clear, concise, and visual (as appropriate) manner to our key stakeholder project teams, and drive meaningful action based on those findings
- Work cross-functionally with Design Researchers, Visual / Interaction / Content Designers, Program Managers and Software Engineers in a fast-moving agile environment
- Communicate, track, and drive research insights with stakeholders to ensure positive impact
- Produce impactful artifacts generated from research findings
- IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for these positions now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
- A degree in Psychology, Design, HCI, a related field, or equivalent industry or Military experience
- End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user design research lifecycle: study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, and executive presentations
- Demonstrated experience with basic mixed-methods research that includes synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data, user insights & trend research, usability studies, field research, in-depth interviews, heuristic evaluations, value proposition assessment, concept testing, user journey maps, benchmarks, competitive reviews, statistical modeling, surveys
- Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Advanced degree in Psychology, Design, HCI, a related field or equivalent industry or Military experience
- Internship experience conducting industry product design research
- Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles and ability to advocate for the inclusion of user insights
- A portfolio of past design and research work experience, deliverables, and entrepreneurial innovation
- Ability to quickly and effectively analyze research data and present rich findings simply and clearly to influence design and direction
- Passion for learning new technologies and understanding the needs of users across a wide range of technical abilities
- About Business UnitThe Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) owns IBM’s IT strategy and provides the tools, workstations, devices, and infrastructure that IBMers use to do their jobs every day. Put simply, our mission is to create a productive environment for IBM's 350,000 worldwide employees. Join us as we lead with design to drive simplicity and ease of use, engineering the systems that run the business, and innovating to transform the business.
- Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
- Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
- Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
- About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 350,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
- Location StatementIBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
- IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
- Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.